Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Great Ocean Road 26th Feb Saturday

Well today I did something I have always dreamed about wanting to do and that's drive the Great Ocean Road in a convertible..wind blowing in my hair....it was an awesome day the weather was great...we travelled north towards Lorne,  I drove there as I wanted John to be able to see the beautiful sites without having to worry about the road etc...I have been down it before many years ago...so it wasn't my first time...


We stopped off at the various look outs..first one being the Patton Lookout...The Cape Patton Cliffs are some of the highest on the Victorian coast....In recent years, dinosaur bone fragments have been recovered from the shore platform at two localities east and west of Cape Patton.





Travelling on further down the Great Ocean Rd, we stopped off at Sheoak Falls which we found out was a  1-kilometre return walk  from the car park, but we didn't know that when we set off, thought we was never going to get to it... Took us over an hour as coming back up was all up hill with stairs and with my agina it really slowed us down a lot as I had to rest several times...but I don't intend to let it stop me from viewing these places. It doesn't fall for a great distance but the water passes over a dark rock face , making a spectacular scene.









We drove on to Lorne a beautiful spot it is 140 kilometres south of Melbourne, approximately a 2-hour drive .... this beautiful seaside town is set between the waters of Loutit Bay and the cool Otway forests. The mild weather...great cafes, unique shops, boutiques and galleries make it one of the Great Ocean Road's most popular holiday destinations.


We stopped here for lunch and I was a good girl today I packed lunch.... we picked up some hot chips to go with it and moved on to fine a shady spot to enjoy it..





After lunch we moved on to Erskine Falls an 8.5 kilometre drive from Lorne on the Erskine Falls Road, this is one of the most popular falls in the Otways. An easy walk brings you to an overlook of the falls cascading 30 metres into a beautiful fern gully. But then you have the choice of going further down the valley to the base of the falls ..it forgets to tell you that its 313 steps to the base...and I know because I counted them on the way up...oh my god I nearly died coming back up they were so steep and soooooooo many...talk about exercise !!! we have surely had it today...BUT I must add it was all worth it the falls were fantastic ....












Spectacular ferns and foliage on the way down












It was getting late in the day as we had been out all day.. so we headed back home...after a great day out !!!

Below are some of the pictures we took along the way












 Big ted in the back seat

......

No comments:

Post a Comment